Warm Up Winchester is a small charity-style project that I started two years ago, to help the homeless in the Winchester/Frederick/Clarke area where I live. Last year (and this is a repeating event), there were TWO tent cities in Winchester, VA, and the number of homeless persons is growing. The economy is forcing many people to be laid off, thus losing their homes.
The average temperatures here in the winter are around 45 F in the day, and around 20F at night. When you are living outside, whether in a car, tent, or squatting where you can, that is VERY cold. No heat … a mere blanket and sleeping bag is all you have.
There are also many people who have a roof over their heads, but no heat, because they can not afford to the cost of fuel.
Here is a list of what I am looking for :
- Warm, hand knitted items; hats being the most important. I also accept scarves, mittens, and gloves. Baby items are also welcome.
- Items in all sizes; children and adults.
- Wool (machine washable or not) is the prefered yarn type, but acrylic is good as well, if that is what you knit with.
- All items will be collected and sorted by me and then taken to various agencies in the area that help those in need.
Want more info? Find more about us on the following sites …
- Warm Up Winchester on Ravelry ( an online knitting/crocheting community.)
- Email me personally at email@example.com
Remember … one hat may not seem like much, but to one person in need, it means the world. Thank you for doing your part!
2010 News and Events
- This year knitters/crocheters will be able to drop off items for Warm Up Winchester at Never Enough Yarn. Make sure you put your name and Ravelry name (or email if you are not on Ravelry), so that you can be entered into the big contest.
- We will be more active with contests and KALs (knit-a-longs) to increase the amount of hats we collect. Please keep an eye out here for more information, as well on our Ravelry page.
- Setting a goal. For 2009, we only collected 64 items … less than half for 2008. I want to aim for 150 hats,gloves, and other warm items this year!
- The BIG Contest. I am hoping to host smaller onces through the year, but there will be one grand winner. For every item that you knit/crochet, you will be entered to win $50 worth of fiber goodness. The more items you make – the better chance you have to win!